Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Weekend.

SUCCESS! We had a beautiful weekend at the beach!... which equals a tiny bit of tenderness from sun on my shins, left shoulder, and the part in my hair, but it was so worth it!

Evan and I arrived Saturday around 4:30. The rest of his family didn't get there til closer til 8, so we took it upon ourselves to go get snacks and drinks (little did I know, grocery store trips are a daily-- sometimes TWICE daily-- event on Harvey vacays). I got a bag of fresh cherries and a bag of salt & vinegar chips, and I was set for the weekend. Evan bought a variety of cheeses, crackers, and Coca-Cola Classic. When the rest of our party finally arrived (I'm SO not used to the "laid back" pace my new family moves at!), we went to eat at Mikee's. Sheila, like my own mother, loves gumbo and she thinks Mikee's has the best. I had an odd moment of home sickness sitting there at the beach without my own family. After dinner, we sat at the condo and talked and watched television until we were all falling asleep in our chairs.

Sunday I woke up first, along with John and Sheila. I enjoyed peanut butter toast, a handful of cherries, and a glass of milk as I watched the waves crash and hoped for good weather. Around 9:30, when I couldn't stand it any longer, I started waking the others up and badgering them to head toward the beach. We made it out to the beach around 11, and I quickly found my place in the sand with a good book and a bottle of water. We braved the water from time to time when the heat became unbearable, and, after the initial shock of the first cold wave to hit you, the salty water felt incredibly refreshing. Alice and I headed upstairs around 1:30 and ordered pizza for everyone for lunch. We were eventually joined by the rest of the group, and then we returned to the beach after about hour. Sunday night we ate at a dive restaurant called Fish Camp-- all 25 or more of us. All the "kids" sat at one table, and we managed to fashion a "super straw" out of all our straws. We used the straw, and a strategically placed Evan, to sip out of a cup on the adult table. Very funny. After dinner, most of us came back to the Harvey condo (as opposed to the Woodward and Glass condos; they were the rest of our party), and played Catch Phrase. Note to all: 13 year olds are not very good at Catch Phrase. Painful, in fact.

Monday morning Alice, Jane, and I headed to the grocery store to pick up supplies for a Memorial Day breakfast. I made breakfast casserole and Alice made cheese grits and homemade cinnamon rolls. It was delicious, and it held me over for most of the day. Again, we stayed on the beach all day, this time reading gossip magazines. We ate at a very nice restaurant called Cobalt Monday night; my seat looked directly at the water at sunset. Perfect. After dinner, we played laser tag. Evan, of course, won, but I finished third and I was quite pleased with that. I'm beginning to think that there is no better beach activity than laser tag at Adventure Island. It's about a dollar a minute, but it is always, always a good time.

I got up early this morning and drove back to Auburn, arriving just in time to head to my Drugs and Behavior class at 1:15. Que perfecto.

Agenda for this week: Study D&B. Study the Word. Work out the bod. And finally, head to Indiana for Ryan Wright's wedding. Busy, busy.

About that studying...

No comments:

Post a Comment