Monday, February 13, 2012

Blessings Abound

Sometimes I just can't help but be overwhelmed by how inconceivably, immeasurably blessed I am. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have written this blog before.

For one, I love my job-- even though it's not a "job." Sure, I'm just an intern, but I am absolutely, 100% positive this is what I want to do. High school, elementary school, middle school-- you name it, I want to be there. I'm obsessed with the fellowship that grows within the walls of the guidance office. It's not always sunshine and rainbows, but it is always, always noteworthy.

And then my family. Holy smokes, my family. Let me be the first to tell you that not one but TWO of my uncles were ordained as deacons last night. I don't even know where to start, but I could not be more proud of these men-- humble, quiet leaders, fiercely loyal, and, most of all, God-fearing. At every family gathering, my precious granddaddy leads the family in prayer-- not a quick, God-is-good-lets-eat prayer, but sincere, reverent prayer to a Father God. I'm thrilled to death to see my uncles and dad pick up that legacy, and I pray that it will continue from the oldest grandson all the way to tiny, three-week-old Ben. Praises to Him!

With all that said, I have to admit that I was unable to attend my uncles' ordination. But that leads me to my next blessing. Every Sunday night, I have the distinct honor of leading a handful of middle school girls in Bible study. When I started this study, I will confess that I was Lindsey-focused. Boy was I going to go in there and show them how good Lindsey is at being a Christian, how awesome being a woman of God is. Typical Lindsey-style, look at me! look at me! Very quickly, the Lord used this opportunity to pour into me. Week after week, I am blessed abundantly by the fellowship with these girls. True women of God, seeking Him with a determination that I had never felt as an 8th grader. They discuss, they participate, they challenge... and they teach. Me. These girls are such sunshine in my life: always there with a hug, a smile, and an encouragement I didn't know I needed.

I don't know where to start with my friends. As our wedding comes together, Alex and I are both overwhelmed by the love we've felt from our friends. Every member of our wedding party is a cherished part of our life, and I am SO excited about having all my best girls with me as I get ready for the biggest day of my life. My darling niece, my sister-cousin, my bestest, my Mini, my hetero life partner, my soul twin, and so many others... And at the end of the day, the love of my life. Too excited. Too. Stinking. Excited.

And speaking of that whole love-of-my-life business, a most excellent perk of getting married is getting married to a family. In all the desperate prayers of a single twenty-something, I could not have dreamed up a more perfect family to join. As Alex says, they're a "family that actually genuinely likes each other." You might be surprised how uncommon that is these days. When your own family is so fabulous, you kind of expect some kind of glitch in the system-- after all, movies and television train us to dread the in-laws. Those people didn't have a family blindly support them when they decided to get married after just six months, I guess.  And you know what... I think they might even like me.

So today, I've had a good day. Coming off a fantastic weekend, I had a great day in the classroom with ninth graders then a good workout to the tune of my new favorite show The Voice... and now I'm winding down and feeling a little bit sappy... But mostly just blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment