Sunday, October 24, 2010

Weekend Update

If you haven't noticed, I'm running with this 'Weekend Update' thing. At first it was a clever (can I call myself clever?) reference to a long-running SNL skit... but now it's just my corny way to tell anyone willing to listen (read) what I did this weekend, in every unnecessary detail.

Friday, I drove home early for an appointment with the chiropractor. This is, weirdly, one of my life's joy. There's something wonderful about the chiropractor cradling my chin and forehead in his hands and talking calmly to me about the Auburn Tigers just before he yanks my chin behind my left shoulder, cracking my neck in all the right places and leaving me wondering for a brief second if I just died. It's kind of amazing how the chiropractor can put a finger on a random spot on my spine and ask, "Tender right there, isn't it?" Oh my gosh, YES! I never realized it until this very moment, but that spot is INCREDIBLY tender. HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?! It's like magic. Spine-cracking, neck-whipping magic.

Friday night we ate at-- drumroll, please-- Mama's. Normally, Mama's is mine and Erica's special place. We order a pineapple and ham pizza and split a slice of one of Mama's fabulous cakes (we're making our way through the list). Lately, though, we've allowed outsiders to join us our favorite pizza joint. So Friday I went out on a limb- I had rigatoni and split bread pudding (HOLY COW, SO DELICIOUS) with Chasley. Italian food and my very best friends... perfection.

Entirely too full, Chasley, David, and I went to support our Wildcats. Still full hours later, we came back home to play guitars and games with dear old Mom and Dad. David and I demolished Dad in Trivial Pursuit (now hear this: WE BEAT HIM IN TRIVIAL PURSUIT; the previously impossible is now just another check on my list). After David went home, Chasley and I stayed up going through my old yearbooks and revisiting my high school years. It should be noted here that I didn't realize until Friday that I, in fact, did not take a single decent year book photo in my 4-year tenure at GHS. Woof.

Saturday morning, I sprung out of bed bright and early. Why? Why be so excited about getting up early on a Saturday morning?

HAIRCUT!!! This was like Christmas. Seriously, I texted several friends just so they could rejoice with me in saying Sionara! to my one-inch roots. It was glorious. (and yes, I resisted the urge to chop my hair off. Look out, Jennifer Aniston, I am on your glamorous hair tail!)

I spent Saturday doing two of my favorite things: laughing with my family and watching my Auburn Tigers win (All we do is win; have you heard?). I got to hold Mally all day, eat ice cream and brownies, and spend time with the people I love most in the world. Oh yeah, and I'm killing my uncle in Words with Friends (my latest obsession). You'll get there one day, Uncle Lance.

Side note: I don't know when I became so competitive. It's a sickness... and the only cure is more WINNING.

Saturday night I watched the Bama game (yawn) at Wade's... and when I say "watched the Bama game" I mean I stood in the kitchen having girl talk and cheese dip with Claire for hours. That's the best way to watch Bama ball, I think.

Today, I sang with Dad and Mini Me at church. We sang "Redeemed," and I've spent much of the day thinking about the lyrics of that beautiful hymn (possibly a future blog). "I sing for I cannot be silent; His love is the theme of my song!"

After a "brief" nap-- for me, anything less than 3 hours on a Sunday is brief, say what you will-- I interviewed a friend of mine from Mexico for the first part of my multicultural interview assignment. I loved getting a glimpse into the immigrant experience and so many Mexican traditions, and I even got to use some- very rusty- Spanish. It really revived two needs in my life: to travel and to learn another language. It's so cool that my friend didn't speak English at all when she moved here, and today she sat and talked with me for an hour and a half!

Now I'm about to go to bed because at 7 tomorrow morning I register for classes. Specifically, I register for Practicum I. At 7 am, 12 of my classmates will also sign on to register for Prac I, a class that only has 5 slots. Big deal, take it in the summer, you say? Oh no, it won't be offered again until next fall, effectively postponing my graduation an entire year. I'm sure I'll sleep well and undisturbed tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment