TLC shows a number of shows that I enjoy and am considerably less embarrassed to talk about: What Not to Wear and Say Yes to the Dress, for instance. For this reason, when I turn my TV on in the afternoon, it is often still on TLC from the night before.
Today, I turned the TV on just for some background noise while I typed out a few emails. I didn't realize how dangerous this practice is. An hour later, I'm watching a show called 'I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.' Yeah, pretty self-explanatory, but in case you're having trouble putting the pieces together... this show documents stories of women who did not realize that they were, in fact, pregnant until they went into labor... usually sitting on the toilet in their dorm room bathroom. The show comes complete with reenactments... yup.
Now, I have no experience with being pregnant; however, this is an unthinkable thought to me. While I have never been pregnant myself, I have been around pregnant women, and I happen to be well aware that they're pregnant by their very pregnant appearance.
In the episode that's on as I type this out, the college freshman skips her period multiple times in a row, complains about crying over everything, throwing up at soccer practice, and gaining 15 pounds. Her mother says she noticed that her hips were getting wider, and the girl herself mentions that she'd gone up a cup size and is experiencing heartburn.
Hmmm. Call me crazy, but... absence of period, crazy hormones, throwing up, weight gain, heart burn, changing body shape... Oh, what's that? You went off your birth control a month before your boyfriend was deployed to Iraq? Yeah, I can see why this came as such a shock.
People, you are killing me.
No comments:
Post a Comment